Pages

Wednesday 24 June 2020

Black Lives Matter Writing

   Black Lives Matter Writing:
If you didn’t know, right now, there are lots of people protesting (mostly in America,) to
get the message black lives matter. Why, you ask? Well, there were already protests, and
judgements about it before, but it got worse when a person called George Floyd passed
away. Again, how do you ask? He passed away because he was killed by four cops. I
know, that sucks, and that also created more and more protests, and warnings all over
the world, and social media.


I see lots of people fighting in their own way around the world on social media. Including
a teacher in auckland. She posted a video on instagram of her teaching her class of 6
year olds about racism. It was a very cool video to watch, and it was also quite inspiring.
In the video, the teacher seemed very calm, and it was pretty obvious that she knew her
class, and what to say.


I wonder what the next step is, or when they will finally listen. You shouldn’t judge
someone, or talk about them just because of the color of their skin. I know a movie
called T.H.U.G (The hate you give). It’s pretty similar to what’s going on right now.
Starr Carter is constantly switching between two worlds -- the garden heights
neighborhood where she lives and the wealthy, mostly white prep school that she
attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is soon shattered when she
witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend (Khalil) at the hands of a police
officer. Facing pressure from all sides of the community. In the movie, we also find out
that she also witnessed her other friends pass away (Natasha), when someone shot at
her. Starr must find her voice and decide to stand up for what's right.


In the movie, Starr says “how many of us have to die before y'all get it?!” This line was
a quickly said line, but a sentence to make you think (or maybe just the police.) I recently
rewatched this movie, and it is just one of those movies to make you cry. I see a lot of
people protesting these days, even kids! We also have protests here in New Zealand. In
NZ, people are fighting against racism too, because some people just don’t understand.

Overall I know lots of people that have opinions about this, and all of them said (not exactly but,) what happened is unacceptable, and especially during the effect right now of the virus. From what I know, the cops had absolutely no reason whatsoever to do what they did. Those cops should go to jail, I agree that black lives matter. Every life matters. Whether the color of your skin is dark, light, brown. Whether you live in a rich neighborhood or not. You matter. Every life matters. I also think that, at the end of the day, everyone is human, and we all have the same color blood, so no one should be having to fight for justice. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jedida! Thank you for this. I really enjoyed reading your take on the Black Lives Matter movement. I like the links you've made to the movie T.H.U.G and might actually try watching it during the holidays. I really hope more people get to read your writing and help to stop racism in NZ. Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Ilaoa,
      Thank you for commenting on my blog! I really appreciate your comment, and I enjoyed reading it! I like the movie T.H.U.G, and I definitely recommend it. My sister read my writing, and said she likes it. Thanks for the comment!

      From Jedida
      Year 8
      Pt England School

      Delete